28 October 2008

Work in progress

This is part of a pair of hidden pictures- err, I mean, "seek and find"- being done for a nearby Conservation group. I'll post the finishes once I'm done.

26 October 2008

Highlights Hidden Pictures Cover

Just received the copies of the 2009 hidden picture book in which I was picked for the cover.

Also, I am in this month's Highlights Magazine (November 2008). It is an older hidden picture piece I did back in 2001 that I think was reprinted for this issue, but I'm not entirely sure. It's kind of fun to look at how I have improved in just 7 years. I've learned since that removing the tone makes the hidden pictures harder to find and it takes much less time. I wish I had known they were going to reprint this, I would like to have re-inked it.

13 October 2008

Short Cuts.

Two weeks ago I had to do a pretty quick turn-around job for Bryn Mawr College. The illustration was to be of 6 different crew boats with 30 people distributed between them. Since I didn't have the time to draw each individual, I drew 3 instead: one coxswain and one female and one male rower, plus the back and front of the boat. I then drew many different heads of different races (as shown below) and stuck them on the bodies.

I wish I had the time to vary the strokes each team was taking, but sometimes you just have to get the job done. I still think it turned out pretty nice.

06 October 2008

Old Mac Donald.

I teach a sophomore class called Experimental Workshop at the Hussian School of Art. The whole point of the class is to make the students think outside the box. Most of the time we are creating 3 dimensional pieces but every so often I have them do an illustration. I start off by giving them a list of 58 animals/objects that Old MacDonald and his family are moving. The experimental side of this illustration is to draw everything that is on the list but to draw it using only INK. No pencil or research is allowed. They are given roughly 3 hours to complete.

Last year I decided to do one and here's what I was able to put together. I found that the hardest part of this was keeping the proportions right and just trying to plan ahead for what was coming next. There is some bad drawing here, and this piece is pretty big (6 x 22") that I had to take a photo of it, so please forgive the quality.
Update: I found a away to scan it in using Adobe Bridge's Photo merge!