17 July 2009

Illustration Friday: Tango



In 2001 the Philadelphia Zoo held a Bachelor Auction for the benefit of the Zoo's conservation program, One with Nature. I was asked to draw tasteful caricatures of every bachelor (20 or so) holding a rose for the interior of the booklet as well as an illustration for the cover and the back cover (the illustrations above).

I did the entire booklet for free in exchange for some free advertising. Well, wouldn't you know it, when I received the booklet the only ad that they had "problems" printing was mine, so my phone number and contact information was rendered completely illegible. I still to this day don't fully understand what happened since I had submitted the file with plenty of resolution, proper formatting, and I even went so far as to outline the text to prevent any font issues. Good grief. To top it all off, I was also asked to sit and draw caricatures at the event (quite a tempting offer for a young single bachelor like myself- ahem) prior to the bachelor cat walk. I sat for 1 hour and didn't draw a single caricature. The only women to approach me were two seventy year old women to kindly ask me what I was doing. I left feeling quite humiliated. I don't think I'll ever recover.

Anyway, it was a beautifully designed book and I had heard it won an award or two. I can't remember who was responsible for the deign or I would give them credit.

6 comments:

ArtSparker said...

I feel your pain about no good deed going unpunished aspect of volunteer art jobs. Lovely otters.

Indigene said...

Well, you did an excellent job! What we won't do for art!

Yulia Makarova said...

its a beautifully composed book, illustrations are very cute and funny.

Kristyna litten said...

great characters

michael robertson said...

great stuff-very cute characters.

Caroline said...

Your otters are great though and getting a well deserved second outing here - bravo!!