11 September 2009

Illustration Friday: Welcome



I did this colored pencil piece back in 1993 for our Media Techniques class taught by the great Jim Souder.

My thoughts behind this were that while it is truly wonderful to be outside playing in the snow all day, there is also nothing quite like returning to the warmth of your home where Mom was usually making tomato soup and grilled cheese.

I remember at the time of making this illustration that I was experimenting with the coloring pencil technique of self taught illustrator and Caldecott Winner, Stephen Gammell.

7 comments:

Linda Weller said...

Mr Souder was a favorite at Hussian! He made you want to do your assignments,...and enjoy them too,... even perspective! Thanks for the flashback Chuck!

Juan said...

Excellent!!!

MrBibleHead said...

Great expression! Nice work!

ArtQwerks said...

beautifully rendered! ...and to think this weather is right around the corner again!

erin said...

burrr, very nice!

Unknown said...

Very good illo!

Pencil Pocket said...

Gorgeous rendering. I love the way you've applied colour. Wonderful work. I just want to give him a hug :)