28 September 2010

100 years ago.


Our home is 100 years old this year. With that comes a lot of thought into what it must have been like living here in 1910 and who exactly it was that lived here. As far as we know there was a Dairy Farm in the back of the house (the foundation is still there) as well as the Post Office and General Store which is the current house next door. A friendly neighbor recently told me that the man who built the house was a police officer and his wife was still the owner of the home only 5 years ago. Anyway I often think about what their conversations were like just after building the house. Did they think about who would own the house 100 years later?



Now I'm thinking about who will be in the house in 2110 but that's a story for another time...
PS: Absolutely no research was used in the drawing of that radio, that's why it looks so bad.

8 comments:

paula said...

Interesting! What a neat house you live in, and a story to go along with it. Sounds like your neighborhood was a small village at one time. The cartoon is hilarious, btw. Thanks for sharing!

Chuck Dillon said...

Thanks, Paula! This area was called Hartford Woods but it was absorbed into Mount Laurel decades ago (I haven't been able to find when exactly that was). I have visited the Mount Laurel Township and looked online but it all seems to have been forgotten.

Ed Webster said...

I think I heard about that house Chuck... the woman who lived there was Wiccan princess and her 13th child was rumored to be the cousin of the Jersey Devil. He still returns there on Halloween night to decide the fate of those he thinks has "stolen" his mothers home. Ha ha.. I know... crazy huh? Well... enjoy!

Chuck Dillon said...

I guess that explains all the bodies under the basement floor.

heidi aldin monteleone said...

This reminds me so much of a Victorian I lived in in Pennington NJ a few years ago. This is in Mount Laurel? Nice! I also almost bought a house with an old dairy in the back in Mount Holly NJ, not too far from there. Love the history in the old places!

Don Cox said...

There weren't any home radios in 1910.

A player piano is more likely, or possibly a clockwork gramophone.

Chuck Dillon said...

Great point! I didn't think about that!

Don Cox said...

I live in an 1873 house in England. The older houses make much better homes, in my opinion.

But they do need more repairs, and better insulation and draught proofing.